All Purpose Roasted Salsa
Make a batch of spicy, flavorful "All Purpose Roasted Salsa" and use it throughout the week for salad, dips, and your brunch needs. Easy, customizable, naturally vegan & gluten-free!
I am little snobbish when it comes to salsa; I think living in Texas for four years does that to you. The bottle stuff doesn't cut it anymore especially once you get the hang of making homemade salsa. I am not saying all bottled salsa are necessarily bad but when it's so easy to make it at home with the freshest ingredients, why not? I call this "All Purpose Roasted Salsa" because it's literally that.
All the ingredients are roasted and I have been using it for so many things besides the obvious. Think salad dressing, salsa chicken, on eggs, tacos (roasted chicken, breakfast), huevos rancheros...expect some recipes featuring all purpose roasted salsa because it's almost Cinco de Mayo and the celebration is not complete without some Mexican food. Am I right or am I right?
Everyone likes their salsa differently and that's cool. I am into spicy salsa that has deep flavors and little zing, which this all purpose roasted salsa is. You can use your outdoor grill, grill pan, or roast it in the oven like I did with eggplant salad to get smoky, charred taste. Cindo de Mayo or not, I don't need a reason to eat Mexican food although I feel like I overdo it sometimes. If you are into Mexican food or need a reason to eat more tortilla chips and use up all the extra tomatoes - you've got to give All Purpose Roasted Salsa a try.
All Purpose Roasted Salsa
Serves: 2 cups
- 4 medium roma tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno (remove seeds if you don't want spicy salsa)
- 4 garlic cloves
- half medium onion
- 1-2 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large lemon squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Brush tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic cloves, and onion with oil generously coating all sides.
- Grill it in the pan or outdoor grill. Alternatively, you can roast it in the oven @ 425 F for 12-15 minutes until it is slightly soft and charred.
- Let it cool for few minutes.
- Seed jalapeno if needed and remove the outside charred skin.
- Dump everything into a blender along with cilantro, salt, lemon juice and cumin powder. Blend everything until it is pureed to nice consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Hopefully you will give "All Purpose Roasted Salsa" a try soon..or put your own spin to it.
I got all preachy and personal on the blog yesterday about "Why Listening to your Body is Important?" so I don't have much to say today. I really appreciate everyone's thought because I knew I wasn't alone but reading actual comments is comforting and inspiring. Thank you!!!